28 April 2006

Can we apologise for our beliefs?

Should we apologise for our beliefs?

If we believe something happened, if we have friends who also believe what we believe, if we have heard subjective evidence to suggest that similar things have happened to others in the past...

If someone who wields power and deals in objective evidence and makes demands doesn't believe us...

Should we apologise? Doesn't this compromise us in the deep sense of the word? Don't we lose a part of our integrity by apologising in the face of our beliefs?

On the other hand, could it be better to lose our integrity and compromise rather than suffer the fate that those with the power and authority would like to see?

We'll have to see...

1 comment:

Henry said...

Before anyone has a go at me about this, I do think it's important to apologise absolutely and unreservedly if anyone is hurt by something I say or do.

I don't do things to hurt people, it's not in my nature. I don't want people to be hurt. If they are I'm sorry.

I'm sorry even if I think they were stupid to have felt hurt by what I did, even if I don't believe they should have been hurt.

I may even by sorry for what I did - I am ready to make these concessions if I'm shown I made a mistake.

I'm still not sorry for what I believe though.