10 May 2006

An apology

I'm sorry to all the small farmers out there trying to make a living, especially the organic ones, and especially the ones nearest to me. I'm sorry to all the independent shop owners and market traders, especially those that sell locally produced goods. I'm sorry to all the people who work for any of the big supermarkets.

I have a terrible confession to make: I've been shopping at Asda.

I promise I don't do it often and I bought the bare minimum, but I've worked a long time today and it was after 10pm so everywhere else was closed. I just needed something wholesome and nutritious to eat and keep me going another day.

I'm not sure what my penitence should be. It almost makes me hark back to the good old days when the police would dispense you a good beating if someone put a word in on your behalf.

Since this isn't going to happen though, I'll have to make do with inviting comments. Please let me know how you've managed to give up supermarket shopping. Take the pledge online, and vow never to set foot into one of those horrible places again. Think up some imaginative chastisement that may help me, or some words of gentle support and encouragement to have a similar effect.

I'm relying on your good nature and support now. Thanks in advance.

No comments: